The House of Commons Select Committee on Defence (HCDC) has this week published its preliminary findings ahead of Her Majesty’s Government (HMG) and Ministry of Defence (MOD) report into the Modernising Defence Programme (MDP). The bottom line from the HCDC is that HMG should be funding MOD with a minimum of 3% of Gross Domestic Product (GDP). DefenceSynergia (DS) supports this view but is not optimistic in the light of current political circumstances. Were the Defence capability deficiencies more widely known the public might well be willing to pay but they are never informed or asked. (more…)
DefenceSynergia is grateful to Howard Wheeldon for these thoughts on the Ministry of Defence (MOD) Defence Space Conference being held on 21st May.
It is especially relevant as the conference has triggered the Secretary of State for Defence, The Right Honourable Gavin Williamson MP, to announce that Royal Air Force (RAF) Air Command has been given responsibility for command and control of UK military space operations to defend the UK’s interest in space.
Here is what Howard has to say on the subject: (more…)
Last year, before he resigned as Defence Secretary, Sir Michael Fallon rightly responded to pressure from Jonny Mercer MP’s Defence Sub-Committee report into the Iraq Historic Allegations Team (IHAT) excesses by shutting down that inquiry. Well done to all involved we said, but the problem did not begin or end with IHAT. (more…)
- Check out these photos of the US military drills in Europe that have Russia spooked https://t.co/4jRFbMGdhE, 2 hours ago
- British Army wants to bridge the "last mile" with robots https://t.co/bCKvSUvjA7 via @nwtls, 13 hours ago
- "The FT reports that officials saw PM's proposal as appearing to question UK's role among the world’s military, wit… https://t.co/IUTZOlaVC2, 14 hours ago
- Theresa May clashes with MoD over 'challenge to Britain’s ‘tier one’ military status’ https://t.co/ximLVgEGJl via @PoliticsHome, 15 hours ago
- UK undecided on F-35 DAS upgrade | Jane's 360 https://t.co/7P1Hf6dtgK, 17 hours ago
- Letter to the Chairman, dated 18 June from the Ministry of Defence relating to the Defence Fire and Rescue Project
- Letter, dated 14 May 2018 from Chairman to Defence Secretary relating to Defence Fulfilment Centre
- Letter, dated 6 June 2018 from Min(DP) to Chairman relating to Defence Fulfilment Centre
- Defence review must be built on firm strategic and financial foundations
- 7th Report - Beyond 2 per cent: A preliminary report on the Modernising Defence Programme