The House of Commons Select Committee on Defence (HCDC) has this week published its preliminary findings ahead of Her Majesty’s Government (HMG) and Ministry of Defence (MOD) report into the Modernising Defence Programme (MDP). The bottom line from the HCDC is that HMG should be funding MOD with a minimum of 3% of Gross Domestic Product (GDP). DefenceSynergia (DS) supports this view but is not optimistic in the light of current political circumstances. Were the Defence capability deficiencies more widely known the public might well be willing to pay but they are never informed or asked. (more…)
DefenceSynergia is grateful to Howard Wheeldon for these thoughts on the Ministry of Defence (MOD) Defence Space Conference being held on 21st May.
It is especially relevant as the conference has triggered the Secretary of State for Defence, The Right Honourable Gavin Williamson MP, to announce that Royal Air Force (RAF) Air Command has been given responsibility for command and control of UK military space operations to defend the UK’s interest in space.
Here is what Howard has to say on the subject: (more…)
Last year, before he resigned as Defence Secretary, Sir Michael Fallon rightly responded to pressure from Jonny Mercer MP’s Defence Sub-Committee report into the Iraq Historic Allegations Team (IHAT) excesses by shutting down that inquiry. Well done to all involved we said, but the problem did not begin or end with IHAT. (more…)
- Luke Pollard and Douglas Chapman: Let’s come together and recycle our old submarines sustainably, safely and secure… https://t.co/oVe33aCKaQ, 9 hours ago
- Britain does NOT rule the waves: Royal Navy fleet HALVED since 1990 https://t.co/qVj3eZwSlw, Jun 22
- How cuts to Britain's military mean we no longer rule the waves, with fleet halved since 1990 https://t.co/PHBi4f0z6p via @telegraphnews, Jun 22
- Check out these photos of the US military drills in Europe that have Russia spooked https://t.co/4jRFbMGdhE, Jun 21
- British Army wants to bridge the "last mile" with robots https://t.co/bCKvSUvjA7 via @nwtls, Jun 21
- Ministers questioned on armed forces mental health issues
- Letter to the Chairman, dated 18 June from the Ministry of Defence relating to the Defence Fire and Rescue Project
- Letter, dated 14 May 2018 from Chairman to Defence Secretary relating to Defence Fulfilment Centre
- Letter, dated 6 June 2018 from Min(DP) to Chairman relating to Defence Fulfilment Centre
- Defence review must be built on firm strategic and financial foundations